The Woodlands Concert Band is sponsoring our 5th Annual Soloist Competition. Eligible high school students are encouraged to apply for a chance to win one of three cash awards of $1,000, $500 or $300.
RULES AND PROCEDURES
- You must be a student in good standing at a public (including charter) or private (including religious) secondary school, in Grades 9-12 (or home schooled) attending school in Harris, Fort Bend, or Montgomery counties.
- You must be a member in good standing in your band program affiliated with your school.
- You must play a wind or percussion instrument, typically used in the concert band.
- You must have permission of a parent/guardian and band instructor to participate.
- You must complete and submit an application form, along with all required materials no later than midnight on Sunday, May 7, 2023.
- Your application must include an unedited video recording (see below for specifics) of you performing the piece that you would perform with the Woodlands Concert Band if you are selected as the winner. The highest quality recording will best represent your performance.
- You and your accompanist must be available for a live audition on Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 10 AM at Christ Church Methodist if you are selected as a finalist.
- If you are selected as winner, you must attend the following Woodlands Concert Band rehearsals at Christ Church United Methodist in The Woodlands.
Rehearsals are from 7 to 9 PM, but you will only need to be available for approximately 30 minutes of that time.
Pick two of the three options listed below.
Thursday, June 8, 2023
Thursday, June 15, 2023
Thursday, June 22, 2023 (dress rehearsal)
AND the Concert/Performance on Sunday, June 25, 2023 at 4 PM at Christ Church Methodist in The Woodlands
- All individuals identified as “finalists” must furnish three copies (photocopies accepted) of the music to be performed at the Saturday, May 20th, 2023 audition.
- There is a $10.00 application fee payable upon submission of the online form via a PayPal link.
- Student must perform a live solo audition of sufficient musical substance to demonstrate technical and musical abilities.
- The piece or movement must be performed in its entirety. Cuts will not be permitted.
- Performance time cannot exceed 12 minutes.
- Please get your solo approved by the Woodlands Concert Band well in advance of the competition; preferably before you start working on it.
- You must select for this competition a piece for your instrument that has an accompaniment for band or chamber wind ensemble that is readily available to borrow or purchase. No rentals will be allowed. Check with your band director, private music teacher or contact Mr. Paul Worosello if you have any questions.
- Your recorded performance must be accompanied. You may use a pianist or a Smart Music accompaniment. If selected as a finalist, you must be accompanied and a pianist is preferred.
- For percussion finalists, a xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, and a set of four timpani will be made available for the live audition, although you may feel more comfortable playing on the model/brand instrument that you normally play. Otherwise, each player must furnish his/her own instrument (and any needed accessories) for all aspects of the competition.
- Begin your unedited video recording by stating clearly your name, the school you attend, the band (if different), and the title, composer/arranger (and movement) of the piece you are playing. It is always appropriate to recognize your accompanist as well.
- The music portion of your recording must not exceed 12 minutes.
- Post the video recording to YouTube in an unlisted status. If you are unsure how to accomplish this, there are many excellent tutorials online. Provide the link to this video in your application materials so it can be viewed by the judges.
- You are responsible for all aspects of creating and posting your application performance such that it can be viewed by the judges. It is to your advantage to submit the highest possible quality audio and video as part of your application.
- Judges will be selected from band directors and private lesson instructors who are members of the Woodlands Concert Band.
- Judges will select five finalists based on the application YouTube recordings.
- Up to three winners will be selected to perform with the Woodlands Concert Band.
- The judges reserve the right to NOT select a winner.
- The winner will be announced through various press releases and social media outlets.
- The winner will perform in a free concert with the Woodlands Concert Band on Sunday, June 25th, 2023 at Christ Church Methodist in The Woodlands and will receive a cash prize of $1,000, $500, or $300, presented at the concert.
Questions? Please contact Mr. Paul Worosello.